National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS)
Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA) provides market information as part of their National Livestock Reporting Service. Click here for the latest report .
You can also hear the Tamworthreport on the Country Hour on ABC Radio every Monday or Rural Report on ABC New England North West on Tuesday morning.
Off the Rails - Prime Cattle market highlight
The TLSAA also produce a weekly market highlight, updated after each sale. You can read the latest report below and then click on the file at the bottom for a printable (PDF) version.
Alternatively, check the archives page for older Market highlights.
Coming soon - Top prices for 2018
Watch this space for information on the top prices for 2018 for each category sold.
Monday 17th September, 2018
Total yarding: 1541 (1186)
Note: Figures in brackets are numbers/prices from our last sale
Well finished steers, heifers and cows rewarded in a variable market
Numbers continued to climb in Tamworth today with well finished cattle off crop or grain gaining up to 10c/kg for the steers, 8-10c/kg for the heifers and more than 6c/kg for the best cows. Massive Friesian x cows topped the cow market, making over $2000, while other categories were quoted as firm at best with some re-stocker activity on the lighter cattle.
Vealer steers sold to 270c/kg (262c/kg) , yearlings to 299c/kg (299c/kg) and grown steers to 288c/kg (292c/kg). Highlights included:
- Angus and Angus x steers sold by Pitt on account Oakburn Pastoral Co sold to 274c/kg and averaged 319kg/$874;
- Shorthorn steers (pictured above middle in back pen) sold by PPA on account Carlowrie Pastoral Co made 296c/kg and averaged 318kg/$942;
- Charolais steers sold by CP on account RJ Laurie made 295c/kg and averaged 346kg/$1020 with the Hereford steers making 290c/kg and averaging 336kg/$973;
- Hereford steers sold by IML on account Llanillo Ag Co made 297c/kg and averaged 344kg/$1022;
- Murray Grey steers sold by IML on account Groveleigh made 295c/kg and averaged 379kg/$1117;
- Vendor bred milk tooth steers (pictured top left) sold by G&C on account B & M Davidson made 295c/kg and averaged 384kg/$1134;
- Santa steers (pictured above right) sold by PPA on account Watasanta made 292c/kg and averaged 402kg/$1173;
- Hereford steers sold by Pitt on account D & P Wall made 282c/kg and averaged 477kg/$1345; and
- Angus x steers sold by B&S on account Helen Osbourne made 264c/kg and averaged 563kg/$1488.
Vealer heifers sold to 220c/kg (263c/kg), yearlings to 280c/kg (285c/kg) and grown heifers to 284c/kg (276c/kg). Highlights included:
- Angus and Angus x heifers sold by Pitt on account Oakburn Pastoral Co made 265c/kg and averaged 315kg/$853;
- Charolais heifers sold by CP on account RJ Laurie made 280c/kg and averaged 321kg/$900;
- Angus heifers (pictured bottom left) sold by ELD on account Berwicks made 270c/kg and averaged 517kg/$1395; and
- Heifers sold by G&C on account Webeck made 284c/kg and averaged 512kg/$1456.
Cows topped at 258c/kg (250c/kg) for Angus cows sold by RWL on accoutn R & G Bomford, Barraba. They came back at 567kg/$1464. Top $/head in the cows was $2055 for Friesian x cows sold by G&C on account Klasen. Other good results included:
- Hereford x cows sold by ELD on account Chaffey made 256c/kg and averaged 675kg/$1729; and
- Hereford cows sold by IML on account Kimberley Grange made 249c/kg and averaged 589kg/$1468.
Bulls topped at 261c/kg (236c/kg) with a top price of $2606 for a bull sold by IML.
Note: Photos in the written report may differ from those in the website report. All other information is the same.