Off the Rails - Store Cattle market highlight
Each store sale the TLSAA produce a market report highlighting the best pens of the day. Read the latest report here or click on the links at the bottom for printable (PDF) versions of recent market highlights.
Disclaimer: All information is correct at the time of publication. While every effort is made to provide accurate figures no responsibility is taken for errors in reporting. For further details contact the relevantselling agents.
Friday 20th October 2017
Special store cattle sale
3600 (400) head offered
Numbers increase almost 10 fold and market responds to varied conditions as rain falls in Tamworth
An outstanding sale in Tamworth today with numbers exploding and demand strong following good rain across much of the region. While many western producers are still offloading due to dry times, tablelands producers have had good rain and say their country is responding – a perfect scenario for those forced to sell. The regular local buyers competed with those from as far afield as Dubbo and Goondiwindi in a market that reflected recent increases in live weight prices with Phillip Hetherington quoting weaner steers up to 70c/kg dearer than our previous store sale. The heifer market was also strong and described by one commission buyer as “still viable” with good money to be made.
Weaner steers sold from $1130 ($770 last sale) for Angus x steers sold by IML with Angus x weaners sold by CP on account Edwards selling to $1100 and Charolais x steers from the same vendor making $1080. Yearling steers sold to $1220 ($995 last sale) for outstanding quality, 9-11 month old, weaned Angus steers (pictured top left) sold by LMK on account D’Hudson, Mullaley. Other highlights included:
- Weaned Angus, Hereford and Euro x steers, 8-11 months sold by CP on account Bursle and O’Connor topped at $890;
- Angus weaners, 7-9 months, sold by CP on account Gateway Farms made $910;
- Crossbred weaned steers, in hand at TRLX since Wednesday, sold by LMK on account “East Lodge Pastoral Co” topped at $940;
- Angus weaner steers, 8-10 months, sold by IML on account Seolta Pty Ltd, Tamworth topped at $980;
- Angus yearling steers sold by IML on account Basalt Valley Grazing topped at $1000;
- Yard weaned Angus and Hereford weaners sold by LMK on account RR & KA Eather, Narrabri topped at $1040 for the Hereford calves with the blacks making $1000;
- Yard weaned, Shorthorn steers (above right) sold by PPA on account Fitzgerald, Mullaley made $1050;
- Charolais x yearling steers sold by IML on account Marshall made $1100;
- Charolais x steers sold by PPA on account McCarthy Cattle Co made $1100; and
- Hereford yearling steers sold by DCM on account Lachlan Downs made $1105.
Weaner heifers sold to $900 ($740 last sale) for for heifers sold by IML on account Basalt Valley Grazing. Yearling heifers sold to $1200 ($740 last sale) for top quality, Spry and Yamburgan blood Shorthorn yearling heifers (pictured below left) sold by IML on account Calrossy Girls School. Other good results in the heifers included:
- NSM Angus heifers, 12- 14 months, sold by LMK on account D’Hudson topped at $900
- A run of almost 400 weaned crossbred heifers, 200-280kg sold by LMK on account East Lodge Pastoral Co sold to $990;
- Charolais yearling heifers sold by PPA on account McCarthy Cattle Co made $1005;
- Hereford x Santa heifers, 11- 13 months, by Cascade Poll Hereford bulls sold by DCM on account DF Dumble, West Towrie made $1120.
Cows/heifers and calves
Cows and calves topped at $1875 ($1600 last sale) for a Shorthorn cow with CAF 6 weeks sold by IML on account Calrossy Girls School. Heifers and calves topped at $2090 ($1680 last sale) for Angus heifers (pictured above right) with Wagyu calves at foot sold by DCM. The bulk of the cows and calves made from $1500-$1800 with highlights including:
- Angus cows and calves sold by ELD on account St Elmo made $1730;
- Angus cows and calves sold by Pitt on account GF & CD Summers made $1775;
- British x heifers with fresh calves at foot sold by DCM on account MTF, Tamworth made $1890;
- Mixed age, tablelands bred Angus cows with outstanding calves at foot by Minnie Vale Charolais bulls, ready to join, sold by IML on account C & N Piper, Wee Waa sold to $1795;
- Black baldy cows and calves sold by PPA on account J & K Parker, Manilla made $1825; and
- Hereford and Hereford x cows, 4-7 years with calves at foot by Charolais, Angus and Hereford bulls sold by PPA on account Russell Partnership, “Brubri” Manilla topped at $1850.
PTIC sold to $1320 ($1380 last sale) for Angus heifers sold by DCM and PTIC cows sold to $1220 for Shorthorn cows sold by DCM on account Richard Walker.
This information, plus additional photos, can also be viewed on the Tamworth Selling Agents Facebook page. Compiled and written by Michelle Mawhinney, TLSAA
Disclaimer: All information is correct at the time of publication. While every effort is made to provide accurate figures no responsibility is taken for errors in reporting. For further details contact the selling agents.
Next store sale
Friday 3rd November
Special Store Cattle Sale
Contact your preferred agent for details.
Click on the file for a printable version of this market highlight.
Note: The photos in the PDF may differ slightly to those on the website. Please contact us if you would like a specific photo.
Friday 20th October store cattle.pdf
Size : 1053.042 Kb
Type : pdf
Friday 6th October store cattle.pdf
Size : 1076.109 Kb
Type : pdf
Coming soon - Top prices for 2017
Watch this space for information on the top prices for 2017 for each category sold.